“Cleverbot API” refers to an application programming interface by which members of the public may, at the discretion of Existor Limited, access the conversational Artificial Intelligence (AI) software serving also used by the website Cleverbot.com and the related sites and apps of Existor Limited and Icogno Limited.
Cleverbot API is the only allowable method in the world by which access to Cleverbot AI serving may be gained, excepting direct, personal, human usage of the user interfaces of the sites and app provided by Existor Limited and Icogno Limited.
Cleverbot API is for commercial and non-commercial use.
By completing the Sign up process for the Cleverbot API, and/or by accessing the Cleverbot API, you and the organization identified in the Sign up (hereafter “you”) signify that you have read, understood, and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions of the Cleverbot API (“Terms”) and all applicable laws and regulations. If you do not agree to these Terms, please do not use this website, the Cleverbot API or any other of our services.
This Agreement is effective as of the date of Sign up.
You represent and warrant that you have the necessary power and authority to enter into this Agreement on the behalf of yourself and/or the entity you represent. You further agree to perform the obligations hereunder.
Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, during the Term, Existor Limited grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sub-licensable, non-assignable license to access, implement, integrate and use the Cleverbot API for personal or internal business purposes.
Existor makes the API available to you electronically, requiring an API Key to access the services. As a condition of its receipt and use, of this API Key you acknowledge your responsibility to protect and keep private this API Key, which may not be shared or otherwise disclosed to third parties.
Provision of the Cleverbot API is conditional upon proper usage. You may not:
- Copy, rent, lease, sell, transfer, assign, sublicense, disassemble, decompile or reverse engineer the Cleverbot API;
- Create derivative works, re-package, modify, adapt or alter any part of the Cleverbot API or its content, excepting to the degree defined in the Content license section below;
- Use the Cleverbot API on behalf of any third party, provide it to any third party, or otherwise make it available over a network where it could be used by others, excepting to the degree defined in the Content license section below;
- Gather, store, re-order, re-present or reproduce, or publish data or any information obtained through use of the API, excepting to the degree defined in the Content license section below;
- Create multiple accounts and/or use multiple API Keys if one or more are free accounts;
- Create an account with an invalid or incomplete Name, Address or Email Address, or edit the same to become invalid;
- Use the Cleverbot API or any information obtained through its use to disable, interfere with, or override Cleverbot or Existor services, or to bypass this Agreement or the API Key registration process;
- Use or represent the Cleverbot API in any way that may be seen to purposefully denigrate or demean it, Cleverbot, its creators, Existor Limited or Icogno Limited;
- Use or represent the Cleverbot API in any way that is grossly offensive to common decency;
- Use the Cleverbot API in any manner that violates any laws directly or indirectly.
The Cleverbot API uses Artificial Intelligence software to provide responses to textual inputs that occur in sequence, in the form of a conversation. These responses are here referred to as the Content.
This Agreement, and your accordance with its Terms, provides you with a license to access the Cleverbot API, but also to gather, store, alter, publish and distribute the Content in specific, limited ways. You may:
- Gather and store representations of the Content as complete conversations, in their original sequence, but never so as to gather or use a pool of conversational lines out of the context of their conversations;
- Alter or edit the words or sequences in your stored copy of the Content to an extent, but never so as to greatly change the meanings people would assign to the the Content, and never in ways that combine the Content of many conversations;
- Create derivative works from conversations, in the form of text, visualisations, video, sound representations and more, but never so as to create new, different conversations, and never using the Content as data or ‘training’ for any other kind of AI;
- Publish the original conversations or your derivative works, on the internet or elsewhere, but always with Attribution as to their Cleverbot source;
- Create a wrapper for the Cleverbot API, or equivalent form of code library, and publish it for others to download and use, but only if is made available for free, if it delivers every request directly to the Cleverbot API , if you clearly link to the Cleverbot API pages, and if you state that every user of it must Sign up for their own Cleverbot API Key.
In more informal terms, what the above Content License Terms 1 to 4 above mean is that you may ‘play’ with the Content to a fair extent, be creative, and come up with new formats by which Cleverbot conversations can be enjoyed, and can present the results to the general public, as long as you clearly state that Cleverbot is behind it. Examples of things you may not do include the engineering of a new bot using the Content, caching of the Content for re-use without API requests, and the building of Machine Learning models using the Content.
Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Existor grants a non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, non-transferable license to use, copy and modify the Content solely for personal or internal business purposes. No right is granted to sublicense, sell, syndicate or otherwise share the Content with any third party.
Except as expressly authorized herein, you may not publicly release or disclose data or usage statistics or other information regarding the Cleverbot API or Content. You agree to make available to Existor, upon request, usage statistics or other information regarding your access and use of the Cleverbot API.
Where or very close to any publishing of Content derived from the Cleverbot API, you agree to conspicuously display at least one of the following names textually, or their logos, in such a location and manner that your users or viewers understand the source of conversation used. You agree also to include a web link wherever technically feasible.
- Cleverbot – cleverbot.com
- Cleverbot API – cleverbot.com/api
- Existor – existor.com
Attributions must be used in all published and/or printed works, including but not limited to research papers and journal articles.
Please do inform keep us informed through the Contact link of your Cleverbot API usages and your attributions: though it cannot be guaranteed, we will have every reason to wish to create categorised lists of Customers and their usages, on the cleverbot.com/api website, including web links where appropriate.
Term and Payment
This Agreement shall have an initial term of one month from the date of Sign up. Thereafter, presuming that appropriate payments are received by Existor, and your account has not been cancelled by either party, this Agreement will be extended automatically on a monthly basis.
You agree to maintain valid payment information available in your Cleverbot API “My account” management area.
Unless otherwise agreed in writing, payment amounts shall be as defined by Existor’s published subscription rates for the Cleverbot API.
You agree to upgrade your Cleverbot API account to, and make payments for, the subscription product level appropriate to the number of API calls you wish make in a month.
Upon termination or expiration of this Agreement, rights and obligations of the parties under this Agreement shall immediately cease, excepting the right of Existor to payments due for services provided.
Refund and cancellation policy
You may cancel your monthly subscription at anytime and you will not be charged for the following month(s). However Existor will not issue a refund for the current month.
Any personal information collected by Existor from yourself in for the setup and maintenance of your Cleverbot API account will be securely held and processed in accordance with local law, and will never be shared with or sold to third parties.
Existor may immediately suspend access to the Cleverbot API and/or terminate this Agreement at any time, with or without cause. If you wish to terminate this Agreement you may do so by cancelling your Cleverbot API account. Existor will not be liable for any costs, expenses, or damages as a result of either party choosing to terminate this Agreement. Upon termination of this Agreement, you will promptly cease using the Cleverbot API services and Content.
You acknowledge that all title, intellectual property, and licensing rights to the content or data available through Existor services is the property of the respective content owner and may be protected by applicable copyright or other intellectual property laws and treaties and subject to use restrictions under such laws or treaties.
In all Content, products or services provided to you, Existor expressly reserves any and all rights not specifically granted to you herein.
Further, you understand that Existor may retain a copy of the usage data generated by the Existor services. By your submission of data to or via the Cleverbot API, you grant Existor a non-exclusive perpetual, sub-licensable, royalty-free license to that data.
The Cleverbot API, all related services and Content are provided “AS IS” on an “AS AVAILABLE” basis without warranty or condition of any kind. Existor disclaims all warranties; express or implied, including implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement, and any warranties or conditions arising out of course of dealing or usage of trade. Existor is not responsible or liable (and makes no representation or warranty) for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, or availability of the API.
You will defend, indemnify and hold Existor harmless against any third party claims, liabilities or expenses incurred (including reasonable attorneys’ fees), as well as amounts finally awarded in a settlement or by a court arising from any claim or allegation by a third party arising out of (i) allegations that Existor’s use infringes or misappropriates any trademark, copyright or other intellectual property of any third party, (ii) Your use of Data, (iii) Existor services or the Cleverbot API that are modified by you if the alleged infringement relates to such modification; (iv) Existor Services or the Cleverbot API that are combined with any product, process or materials where the alleged infringement relates to such combination; (v) Your use of a version of the Existor Services or Cleverbot API other than the version that was current at the time of such use; (vi) infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in which you have an interest; or (vii) your breach or alleged breach of any of your obligations or representations under this Agreement.
Limitation of liability
IN NO EVENT WILL EXISTOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR USE) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE CONTENT, EVEN IF IT HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
This Agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the United Kingdom, excluding that body of law pertaining to conflict of laws.